- Chicken in Space, by Adam Lehrhaupt: This is a silly story that encourages imagination and fortitude. Zoey the chicken never gives up on adventure, and her best friend Sam the pig is always by her side. I would recommend this to a child who enjoys the silliness Mo Willems often brings to the table combined with the more adventurous side of Oliver Jeffers.
- I Love Cake, by Tammi Sauer: This book has wonderful messages all around about friendship, sharing, making amends and forgiveness. This book is also hilarious, and it would make an excellent read aloud for a 3-5 year old storytime.
- Samson in the Snow, by Philip C. Stead: I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again: I will read any picture Philip C. Stead writes. I’ve yet to be disappointed. He makes wonderful books with lovely stories. Samson in the Snow is about stepping outside of ones comfort zone and learning to make new friends. It’s a touching story with beautiful illustrations to match.
- This Book Just Ate My Dog!, by Richard Byrne: This book is so funny! This interactive story would be a wonderful read aloud for a 3-5 year old storytime. I think the parents would get a kick out of it too!
- We Found a Hat, by Jon Klassen: I can’t tell you how excited I was when this book came out! Jon Klassen is another author/Illustrator that has yet to disappoint. Anything he does, I will take a look at, whether he’s writing, illustrating or both. We Found a Hat is the third in his Hat Trilogy, the follow up to I Want My Hat Back and This is Not My Hat. All three are brilliant and hilarious!
That’s all for now. As usual, happy reading!