I love using the lift-the-flap board book, Dear Zoo, by Rod Campbell in my Book Babies program. It’s perfect for ages 0-2. Plus I recently made a Dear Zoo set of flannel pieces, and once they were finished, I was compelled to go with a Zoo Animals theme. Babies love animal sounds! You could also use a lot of these tools for a Summer themed storytime.
Books We Read:
- The Opposite Zoo, by Il Sung Na
- Dear Zoo, by Rod Campbell
Songs We Sang:
- Clap and Sing Hello
- When Zoo Animals Wake Up in the Morning (I used a tune I learned from Jbrary, but used my zoo animal puppets. They said hello with Grrs and Roars and Chomps!)
- Wiggle Song
- Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes
- The Funky Spunky Monkey
- Row, Row, Row Your Boat
- The Animals at the Zoo (to the tune of Wheels on the Bus)
- Put Your Hands Up High
- Zoom, Zoom, Zoom
- Jungle Song (to the tune of Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star)
- Bubble, Bubble, Pop!
- Bubbles in the Air
Puppet Activities: I also made a few zoo animals finger puppets, and I used them for two songs: When Zoo Animals Wake Up in the Morning and the Jungle Song. The Jungle Song has quite a few verses, so I chose two of my favorites, and used the puppets that coincided with said verses. You could also use them for The Animals at the Zoo, if you are so inclined.
Flannel Activity: As I mentioned earlier, I made a set of flannel pieces (pictured above) to go with the Dear Zoo book. It was a hit!
This theme was tons of fun to plan and implement! I hope it gives you a few ideas for activities you can do at your next Zoo storytime!